Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Lamenting the Loss of Rock

I know this is supposed to be a blog about art, particularly MY ART, but I'm having a rock moment, more like revival. I know in my last blog I posted about Led Zeppelin and veered from art and I'm going to do that again. Not just about Led Zeppelin, but about rock in general. I figured though, that music is art and rock is music, so, I'm still blogging about art. Just a different genre.

WHERE IS ROCK, WHERE HAS IT GONE????????? It can't be dead, maybe just hybernating. I'm talking about earth shaking, mind blowing, goose bump giving, makes you want to move, makes you want to cry, makes you want to love kind of rock!!!!!!!!!

When did Hip-Hop and Rap and what I like to refer to as the Divas, you know, Mariah, Gwen, Beyonce, Fergie, Britney, Christina, et al, take over. I guess I was living my life and not really paying attention. All you hear anymore on supposedly 'music TV', you know, what the M is supposed to stand for in TV, and Video Hits 1 (where are the videos?), is this type of music. Not that I have anything against Hip-Hop, Rap or the Divas, I have alot of their stuff on my i-pod - alot. But where is the Rock? It's not on the radio, not top 40 anyway. Or if they do play rock, I seem to miss it, so it's not heavy into the rotation.

Does nobody like rock anymore? Am I just an old foggy who is longing for past youth? Why don't we have any really good rock bands right now? Where are the Led Zeppelin's, the AC/DC's, the CCR's, the Who's, the Lynard Synard's, the Pink Floyds, the ZZ Tops of this time, this decade? Did rock die with Kurt? Is rock past it's prime?

I can only think of a handful of bands or artists that are currently popular that can be called true rock and roll. And no, Justin Timberlake and John Mayer are not true rockers. Let's see there's Nickelback, Kid Rock (love him), 3 Doors Down, hummmmmmmm I can't think of anymore. If someone can point some out to me, please do. I'm ready to listen. Just bought Kid Rock's CD "Rock and Roll Jesus" today. It's awesome, bad, hardcore, everything rock should be. Some of the lyrics were a little raunchy (Too Hott and Sugar), but the music is pure Rock.

You know, last decade you had Nirvana, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Creed, Oasis, Melissa Etheridge, 3rd Eye Blind, U2, but now hardly any. Are we in a rock drought? I know my son, who is 19, and alot of his friends listen to classic rock because of the absence of good rock right now. Will we ever have the kinds of bands again that can fill stadiums?

Wake up all you promoters and producers. The boomers still love their rock and roll (and will listen to new bands with a good sound) and their kids are sick of the same old shi - stuff that is being shoved down their throats. All I can say for any garage rock band that is practicing right now . . .

"For those who want to rock, we salute you!"

'Til next time.

Kat

No comments: